Thursday, November 4, 2021

Fly free sweet boy

This morning, our Sasha was re-united with his fur-sibs, Silver, Sami, Shady and Silas.  I am grateful that he passed peacefully in my arms at the vet's office.  I was able to reassure him that he was, and is loved, and his spirit will always be with us.

Sasha was the first cat we adopted when we bought the old house in 2000.  He has been a constant in our lives ever since.  While never a loud cat (unless he was demanding food or attention), the house feels empty and quiet without him.  I'm not certain Saku realizes he isn't here but did spend some time on my lap when I arrived home.  

About six months after Sasha joined the family, we adopted Silver.

The two were inseparable, at least until Sami joined us a year or so later.

I like to think the two are together again and curling up for a nap as they did so often then.



Sasha was always the patient teacher of all the cats who came after him, and they all loved him for it, and wanted to be near him all the time.  Well, except perhaps Saku, but the two did learn to tolerate one another.  I think there were just too many cats hogging Sasha's attention when Saku was a kitten for the two to bond.

From left to right: Sasha, Shady, Silas, and Sami.  

This morning as we sat in the car waiting for the appointment, I picked him up and he looked out the window at the sun.  Sasha was always happiest napping in the sun. Sadly, these last few days he hasn't wanted to be out in the sun room even when I had the door open.  He spent most of his time sleeping on the couch instead.  

The last two days were difficult as he had quit eating much, mostly licking at his food, though he was still drinking water.  Sasha hadn't been able to get up on the bed on his own, but I heard him coming down the hallway and lifted him up each night.  I had vacillated as to what to do, but this morning as he walked down the hall he staggered a few times.  I suspect he was weak and I knew the decision couldn't be put off any longer. 

I know that all of you reading this, understand how difficult this decision is and was.  If I could have, I would have kept Sasha with us forever.  We were so very blessed to have this special cat in our lives, and there will never be another like Sasha. 

Fly free, my sweet boy. 



21 comments:

  1. My deepest condolences for your loss. He had quite an amazing and long life. Sending a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sasha; we are truly sorry buddy; while we know this day "might come soon" it still is hard to read this. we send hugs and loves to you, your mom, & saku. when you get settled there in heaven, please tell everyone we send them hugs and loves also....and we do understand your mom's decision ♥♥♥♥♥

    dai$y, tuna, mackerull, dude, sauce and boomer ~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your sweet boy. What a wonderful life he had filled with love.
    Julie and poppyq

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so sorry about Sasha. Even though he had a long wonderful life, it still isn’t easy. Sending you many comforting purrs and hugs. ~Ernie and the mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blast and damn, I knew the day was coming, and probably soon, but this is still terrible to read. I am very sorry that Sasha had to go, and I do know that horrible decision. Not eating was a sign; I suspect that syringe-feeding would only have made Sasha miserable, and not have led to any improvement.

    But what a long and happy life he had with you and the other cats. He had the best, and you made that possible. Thank you for sharing him with us.

    Godspeed, Sasha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. As John wrote, it was expected, but still terrible to read--and for you to go through. I'm glad Sasha had such a long and happy life with you and that we got to "know" him a bit through your blog. Sending hugs and Light. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all so very sorry to hear about your dear Sasha. It's never, ever easy to say goodbye. Hugs and love from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending gentle purrs of love to you, sharing the sadness of your loss. Such a long, special and beautiful life you had with Sasha, he'll always be in your heart of hearts. Forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of mentioning Sasha's passing to the people who compose the Cat Blogosphere site of cat-blogging news. As a result, Ann of Zoolatry designed memorial badges for Sasha, as she does for so many cats. If you are able and want to, send me your email address and I will forward the badges to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've taken this ride on the last day of my precious baby too. It's so hard and after the vet was done I cried for weeks and weeks.

    Big healing hugs on the loss of your baby Sasha. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew Sasha, but I know the deep pain of loss and send my sincerest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so sad that Sasha was needed at the Bridge, but grateful that he had such a long and wonderful life there with you. He was -- and is -- so loved, and always remembered. Gentle purrs and much love to you as you mourn your special boy's passing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so very sorry for the loss of your Sasha. I just had to come to this most difficult decision myself this week with my Jinx. I know what you speak of when you say how quiet it is. It is here as well as he was my talker. The balance is off in the household and I'm sure it will take awhile for it to come back. The sadness of loss is so sudden and overwhelming, please know I offer sincere condolences for the loss of your precious boy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome boy. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for the loss of your sweet Sasha. Soft Pawkisses to comfort you🐾😽💞
    Fly free beautiful Soul✨

    ReplyDelete
  16. And 'the lone S' is so poignant a header, after so many S's...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. He had a wonderfully long life with you, but it's still never long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are so sorry and sad with you on the loss of your sweet Sasha.
    Though we didn't know him, we still know that awful feeling of loss and grief when those final goodbyes have to be made.

    We send our love and hugs at this difficult time.

    Fly free, Sasha! You are young and healthy again....

    ((((( ♥ )))))

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read your post with great sadness. You lost a longtime friend who has been close to your heart and I know you will feel lost and rudderless for a while. Remember your boy and, if you are like me, cry bucketloads of tears because it eases the heartbreak.

    Fly free Sasha, look down and guard your family. they might need you close for just a while longer.

    ReplyDelete